Total: 8 hours (Overnight)
Making your own yogurt may sound ambitious, but it's really not. All it takes is two ingredients and 20 minutes of hands-on time, and its so much better than buying it in a store! Use organic ingredients and you will get an organic, preservative/additive free, delicious creamy yoghurt.
- 1 litre milk (preferably organic)
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt with bio-live cultures (again preferably organic)
- Place milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until it boils, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool to 115 degrees. Use a kitchen thermometer to check the temperature.
- Whisk together 1 cup milk and the yogurt. Stir into remaining milk.
- Transfer to a 1-litre mason jar. Wrap jar in 2 clean towels, completely covering sides and top. Let stand undisturbed in a warm place until yogurt has the consistency of custard, 5 to 6 hours (I leave mine overnight usually). You can place it for example inside a cupboard in a warm part of your kitchen.
- Refrigerate jar to set the yoghurt further.