Total time: 140mns (includes 60/90mns cooking of Barley)
As cereal grains go, barley is a winner when it comes to good nutrition. This centuries-old grain is packed with fiber, contains important vitamins and minerals, is low in fat, and, like all plant products, cholesterol-free.
2 red peppers
Extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons juiced
Salt and pepper
2 fresh ginger root
- Wash and dry the peppers and grill them in the oven. Soak the grilled peppers in cold water to remove the skin, then dice and lay to dry.
- Cut the squash into cubes and add them to the peppers in a bowl.
- Cover the squash and peppers with olive oil, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Julienne the ginger root and add it to the vegetables along with some chopped fresh mint. Let it all sit for 20mns.
- Boil the barley in salted water (1 cup ‘pearled’ barley + 3 cups water for 60mns/or 1 cup ‘hulled’ barley + 3cups water for 90mns). It should be soft but firm in the center. Drain and toss the barley with the vegetables.
- Core and dice the plums into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Garnish with mint.