Asparagus is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. Spinach is one of my favourite leafy vegetables and I always have some handy in my fridge. It is Nutritional Powerhouse and packs in lots of iron, Vitamin K, A, C and Calcium and is packed with powerful antioxidants.
350g asparagus spears, stalks chopped, woody ends removed.
3 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large handfuls of spinach
700ml vegetable stock (fresh if possible)
1 tablespoon Coconut oil
Olive oil for drizzling (optional)
Himalayan pink salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat the Coconut oil and soften the asparagus for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the shallots and onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stock and allow to cook for another 15mns.
- Put all in a blender and whizz until you have a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil on top if you desire.
Tip: You can save some asparagus tips and put them into the soup before serving.