Total Time: 30mns
This salad reminds me of the traditional Lebanese Tabbouleh! Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around and the Goji berry is one of the most nutritious and powerful foods in the world! This salad is packed full of antioxidants, amino acids, essential fatty acids and protein.
1 cup raw quinoa
1 large head of kale (I used curly leaf kale)
3/4 cup dried goji berries
1 cup pine nuts
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced very fine
- Add dried goji berries to 2 cups of room temperature water, and allow to soak for about 20 minutes. Gently pour gojis into a fine metal strainer when plumped to discard water.
- Add pine nuts to a seasoned very hot pan, and stir quickly. These burn easily, so as soon as you begin to smell the aroma, pull the pan off the heat and continue to toss. When toasted, pour into a small bowl to cool.
- Boil water for quinoa, (2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa) and add quinoa. Reduce heat to simmer, and cover your pan. This should take approximately 12 minutes to cook. Remove pan from heat, and allow to cool. Fluff quinoa with a fork to loosen grains.
- Trim kale from tough stalks and center stems, and slice into ribbons, approximately 1/2 inch wide. Add to a large bowl.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk your dressing together. Add lemon juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and seasonings and whisk until well blended.
- After the quinoa cools, add to the kale. Set aside about 2 tablespoons of goji berries for garnish, and add the rest of the gojis, along with the nuts to your kale and quinoa. Add dressing and toss to mix.
Garnish with goji berries for a pretty red color!
Source: Holly Thompson