Total Time: 15mns
Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around. This warm salad is packed with protein and healthy fat, so it will provide long-lasting energy throughout the day. If you prepare your quinoa ahead of time (I keep a big batch handy in the fridge) it takes just five minutes to put together!
4 cups of kale, removed from stem and rinsed
2 tsp coconut oil
1 cup of cooked quinoa (see cooking directions below)
1 Tbs tahini
1 Tbs tamari (or soy sauce if you're not gluten-free)**
Juice of half a lemon
1 avocado, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 tsp agave (some people like to add a tiny bit of sweetness)**
**Please omit these two ingredients if you're detoxing
- To prepare the dressing, mix together tahini, tamari (or Soya), lemon juice and agave (if using) in a small bowl or cup.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan on the stove. Add kale and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until kale begins to wilt. Add quinoa and stir until warm.
- Mix in dressing, then transfer to plates. Top with avocado, sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Quinoa can simply be cooked by rinsing and then boiling for 10/15mns until the grain opens up. If you want to try something new, here is another way to prepare delicious, fluffy quinoa:
- Rinse 1 cup of dry quinoa with a fine-mesh strainer. Heat a drop of coconut oil in saucepan. Add quinoa to saucepan and toast for a minute or two. (This adds a slightly nutty flavor.)
- Add two cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on, then turn heat off and let quinoa sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Source: Ilene Godofsky