Preparation: 20 mns
Total Time: 30mns
Kohlrabi is part of the cabbage family and boasts a huge amount of nutrients for very few calories. It is particularly high in Vitamin C and Potassium and B vitamins, making it a great energy booster and overall wonderful addition to your diet.
1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
2 medium kohlrabi (about 2 pounds total), peeled, thinly sliced on a mandoline
1 apple (such as Pink Lady or Crispin), peeled, cored, thinly sliced on a mandoline
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup torn fresh mint leaves, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces Pecorino di Fossa or Parmesan, shaved (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Toss kohlrabi, apple, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium bowl; season with salt.
- Add 1/2 cup mint and gently toss to just combine.
- Toss toasted hazelnuts and oil in a small bowl to coat; season with salt.
- Divide kohlrabi salad among plates or into one serving dish and top with seasoned hazelnuts, Pecorino, and more mint.
Recipe: Ignacio Mattos; Photo: Christopher Baker