Total time: 40mns
These cookies are super healthy as they contain oats which is a slow release carbohydrate. The sweetness comes from the banana and the pumpkin, full of Potassium and Beta carotene. The almonds and flaxseed add lots of heart healthy fats and fiber. A great recipe for the kids!
2 cups organic raw whole rolled oats
8 ounces (about 1 cup) organic mashed pumpkin
1 small ripe banana, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds
3 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3 tablespoon maple syrup
1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. I recommend buying the blend at your local natural grocer (it’s inexpensive and contains proper proportions), or follow this recipe to make your own.
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350 F). Lightly spray/brush a baking sheet with natural coconut oil or your usual cooking oil.
- Steam the pumpkin until tender and then puree in a food processor.
- Combine pumpkin, banana, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix on high with a hand mixer until mostly smooth, about two minutes.
- Fold in the oats, almonds and flax using a large wooded spoon until the mixture is uniform.
- Form 6 large cookies and bake for 14-16 minutes until set. They will stay soft but hold together well. Let cool 10 minutes before eating.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tip: This recipe also works well if you make 12 small cookies of equal size and bake for 11-13 minutes.
Source: Kris Carr , Photo: kris Carr