The global "March Against Monsanto" took place on 25 March 2013 with organisers confirming that protests were held in 52 countries and 436 cities around the globe.
Monsanto is an american multinational agricultural biotech corporation which is a leading producer of genetically engineered seed and of the herbicide glyphosate. Monsanto was among the first to genetically modify a plant cell in 1983, and was among the first to conduct field trials of genetically modified crops in 1987.
Genetically modified seeds contain poisonous pesticides and herbicides so the plants are inherently protected from the insects and worms that might damage them. In other words, as the plants grow from the ground, they already contain genes from toxic concoctions, therefore helping corporations and their farmers maximize profits. Most corn, soybean and cotton crops grown in the US today have been genetically modified, and all foods containing derivatives of these foods therfore contain GMO's (think high fructose corn syrup which is in everything you eat today!).
Monsanto have a track record with deception. For example, they covered up environmental devastation as a result of their PCB production in Alabama.
Here are some of the reasons why the march against Monsanto is taking place:
- While long-term studies are limited as genetically modified foods are still so new, solid research is showing that GMOs cause cancer, infertility, and birth defects.
-Monsanto has planted their own ”experts” inside the FDA and USDA. This helps keep them safe and ensures that long-term, government-led studies are not conducted on the safety of GMO foods.
- GMO crops contaminate traditional crops. The fear is that in time there will be no more “clean” seeds.
-Monsanto puts small farms out of business for violations of food patents which can occur as a result of contamination from Monsanto-adjacent farms.
- Monsanto’s GMO seeds may be partly responsible for the collapse of the world’s bee populations.
- Monsanto is working to patent seeds of all crops, including vegetables. Once they’ve done this, they will control the food supply!
- Protestors are asking that laws be put into place to force food producers to label all GMO foods as consumers have the right to know.
The organisers of the event said "We will continue until Monsanto complies with consumer demands. They are poisoning our children, poisoning our planet, if we don't act, who's going to?" American culture and products are exported to the rest of the world so we are all affected and must all take a stance against their dangerous practices.
Source: Natural News
Are you ready for change? Join our Detox Workshops